Out with the old in with the new. I’m ready to take 2017 with gusto, and I bet you are too (that’s why you’re reading this). So, what’s going to be different about this year than last year? Well, that’s for you to decide.
Leaving behind what has been is likely the best thing you will have done for yourself all year. Entering a new year always feel like a brand new opportunity to get things right. But, since there are so many expectations to live up to that it’s hard to know what to focus on. So, I’m going to share with you some things that I don’t plan on repeating next year.
Although I’m definitely someone who believes in having goals, and a plan of attack it all starts with the belief we have about ourselves and what is possible for our lives. If you want to start the new year off right, then I encourage you to leave the following thoughts behind for good. Some or all of these may resonate with you.
- Negative beliefs about what I deserve.
- Past feelings of failure and inadequacy.
- Disappointments of what didn’t get accomplished.
- Lack of self discipline.
- Fears of not being enough for others.
- Thoughts on what I am not capable of doing.
- Indecisive behaviour.
- Walls that keep others from being close to me.
- Feelings of self doubt and confusion.
- Disbelief that I can achieve anything I set my mind to.
I know it may seem overwhelming to read these, and think how will I ever change this pattern of thinking. The answer is one step at a time, and one day at a time. And, to help you get started. I want you to write down the following NEW beliefs about yourself. Make them personal, and rehearse them every day. It took a long time to adopt your old belief system, so it will take some time to unlearn that behaviour and start believing that you are capable of change.
You may want to set aside time each morning to say these aloud. There is power in your words, and what you say you will believe. This is not hocus pocus, it’s doing the heavy lifting to really see your life begin to change starting with what you believe about your life and your future.
I believe that I am worth having good things (relationships, job opportunities… make it personal).
- Although I fail, I am not a failure. My sense of self worth is not attached to risk.
- I work hard, and and am able to complete things on time (at work, and in my personal life).
- My life is disciplined and controlled.
- Who I am is more than enough (I know whose I am).
- I am capable of doing everything I set my mind to do.
- I am able to make wise decisions quickly (and effectively).
- My heart is open to others without fear (or rejection).
- I am self assured and confident in who I am (and have been created to be).
- I can achieve great things (and am purposed for God’s glory).
It's time for you to leave behind what has been holding you back, so that you can finally live the live you were meant to live.
We Are Better Together!